Equity, Inclusion and Diversity policy and Board statement
At esure, we are committed to promoting equity, inclusion and diversity. We celebrate and nurture our diversity because it makes strong business sense and because it’s the right thing to do. We want to create an environment where people from all backgrounds and beliefs feel respected, are treated equally and can thrive.
We recognise and value each other’s differences and believe diversity of ideas and perspectives brings great opportunity for our business. We are passionate about making everyone feel welcome, included and comfortable bringing their whole self to work every day.
esure cares for our people, our customers, our society and our planet. We aim to ensure all colleagues and job applicants are given equal opportunity and our company is truly representative of all sections of society and our customers. esure is an inclusive environment which provides everyone the support they need to feel included, thrive, grow, meet their goals and have some fun.
This policy reinforces our commitment to provide equity and fairness to all and not provide less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation. We reject all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
All colleagues, no matter whether they are part-time, full-time or temporary, will be treated fairly
and with respect.
- Inclusion and Diversity is part of everything we do—from how we treat our customers to how we work together every day as colleagues.
- To create an environment that nurtures individual differences and the contributions of all colleagues are recognised and valued.
- To create a working environment that promotes equity, dignity and respect for every colleague.
- An equity, inclusion and diversity strategy for all, designed around growing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive team, continuously cultivating a culture of belonging and seeking to be thought leaders to support change in our industry
- To partner with appropriate external bodies to drive improvements within esure and also our industry – allowing us to learn from others and share our experiences.
- To continually learn about our colleagues views and needs around equity, inclusion and diversity through a continuous listening strategy using our engagement and dedicated inclusion surveys.
- To not tolerate any form of intimidation, bullying or harassment, and to deal appropriately with any breaches.
- To not unlawfully discriminate because of the equality Act 2010 protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (including colour, nationality, and ethnic or national origin), religion or belief and sexual orientation. This includes in pay and benefits, terms and conditions of employment, dealing with grievances and discipline, dismissal, redundancy, leave for parents, requests for flexible working and selection for employment, promotion, training or other developmental opportunities.
esure will ensure all colleagues know an equity, inclusion and diversity policy is in operation and they are obligated to comply with its requirements and to promote fairness in the workplace. The policy will also be drawn to the attention of agencies, stakeholders, customers, learners, and job applicants.
- Encourage colleagues to treat everyone with dignity and respect through our company communications
- Our workplace, people policies, practices and behaviours foster a fair, open and inclusive culture. All employment practices and processes are subject to regular review so that fairness is maintained at all times and to take account of changes in the law.
- Opportunities are available to all colleagues and candidates are selected for employment, development, promotion, training, or any other benefit, on the basis of their aptitude and ability (apart from in any necessary and limited exemptions and exceptions allowed under the Equality Act).
- Equity, inclusion and diversity are embedded throughout esure’s core learning and development materials.
- esure commits to training all colleagues on their rights and responsibilities under the Equity Inclusion and Diversity Policy including our expectation that colleagues help the organisation provide equal opportunities in employment, and prevent bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination.
- Monitor the make-up of the workforce where this is appropriate and legally permissible.
- Monitoring includes assessing how the Equity, Inclusion and Diversity policy, and any supporting action plans, are working in practice, reviewing them as a minimum annually, and considering and taking action to address any issues promptly as they arise.
- Encouraging anyone who feels they have been subject to discrimination to raise their concerns so esure can apply corrective measures.
- Ensure through training, all colleagues understand they, as well as esure as their employer, can be held liable for acts of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination, in the course of their employment, against fellow colleagues, customers, suppliers and the public.
- Take seriously complaints of bullying, harassment, victimisation and unlawful discrimination by fellow colleagues, customers, suppliers, visitors, the public and any others in the course of the organisation’s work activities. Such acts will be dealt with as misconduct under the grievance and/or disciplinary procedures, and appropriate action will be taken. Particularly serious complaints could amount to gross misconduct and lead to dismissal without notice.
Details of the organisation’s grievance and disciplinary policies and procedures can be found on eserve, which hosts all policies and procedures for esure.
Board Equity, Inclusion and Diversity statement
A diverse and inclusive culture is essential to the long-term success of esure and enabling us to respond to our diverse customer and wider stakeholder needs. We are committed to ensuring an inclusive and diverse membership of the esure Board resulting in optimal decision-making and assisting in the development and execution of a strategy which promotes the success of esure for the benefit of its shareholders and employees.
The Board believes:
- It is critical that membership of the Board includes a diverse mixture of skills, professional and industry backgrounds, geographical experiences and expertise, gender, tenure, ethnicity and neurodiversity
- A diverse Board with a range of views, insights, perspectives and opinions will improve its decision making and be of benefit to the company’s shareholders and other stakeholders
- A culture of equity, inclusion and diversity is cultivated through clear tone from the top, with the Board and Group Executive championing equity, inclusion and diversity in support of esure as a whole
Strong and robust policies and processes are crucial to reflect our commitment to inclusion and diversity
The Board supports and monitors management’s actions to increase the proportion of senior leadership roles held by women, people from ethnic minority backgrounds and other under-represented groups across esure in support of Gender and Ethnic Pay Equality and the recommendations from the Hampton-Alexander, Parker Reviews and the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities.
The Board support the 8 priorities agreed by management this year to target the 3 key areas of attraction, retention and growth.